Unijobs on behalf of our client Dublin City University, are currently recruiting a HR Business Partner, Employee Relations to join their Human Resource Function for an initial one year period.
Overview of the Role
Reporting directly to the HR Deputy Director, Operations and Employee Relations, with a dotted reporting line to the HR Operations Manager, the HR Business Partner – Employee Relations Officer will assist in ensuring the delivery of both the employee relations and operations agenda within the University, its research centres and campus companies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
While this job description attempts to identify and highlight the key areas of responsibility associated with this role, it is not exhaustive. The responsibilities of the post holder may change over time in line with the needs of the HR Department and the wider university.
Working closely with colleagues in the Employee Relations and HR Operations team the main responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Play a lead role in developing and implementing a proactive employee relations programme in line with University policy to include the handling of industrial relations issues
- Assist in proactively and positively manage the relationship with Trade Unions representing staff in the University including conducting regular monthly meetings
- Interpret and implement government directives, public sector service agreements and relevant legislation
- Assist the University at relevant Industrial Relations fora including WRC hearings
- Assist in managing both formal and informal employee relations processes
- Play a lead role in assisting line managers manage employee probations
- Undertake relevant industrial relations research with responsibility for the preparation of submissions for Industrial Relations fora including Conciliation, Adjudication and Labour Court hearings
- Policy development and implementation in conjunction with management, staff and Trade Unions
- Assist in the management of Freedom of Information and GDPR Subject Data Access requests and
- Liaise with the HR Operations team to deliver on the IR/ER agenda
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders within the organisation
- Provide HR Operational support, including providing support to a number of business units
- Actively participate in Department or University wide projects and initiatives
- Produce reports, statistics and updates for HR Management as and when required
- Act as a HR Business Partner in providing comprehensive and professional support to key stakeholders in an assigned unit(s) on all aspects of on all HR related matters
- Develop close and effective working relationships with the key stakeholders to ensure HR policies are implemented; HR services are integrated to meet operational needs and HR activities are aligned with DCU’s human resource strategy.
- Engage in resource planning with the key stakeholders including Executive Dean of Faculty, Heads of School and Heads of Units/Centres/Companies to ensure an effective recruitment and selection plan is in place
- Co-ordinate and manage all pre and post recruitment and selection activities as required, for the recruitment and selection of staff including participation in interviews as appropriate
- In conjunction with the contracts team manage the monthly payrun for areas of responsibility
- Oversee and manage the provision of a comprehensive employee benefits package and provide a source of information, expertise and advice to staff members on the existing package of benefits including salary, hours, pension, leave, Salary Protection, VHI etc. taking into account existing public sector directives
- Actively participate as a member of the HR Business Partner team and assist colleagues as and when required by undertaking work outside of the role allocation
The successful candidate will have the ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships. You will be flexible and demonstrate a high level of enthusiasm, energy, professionalism, resolve and drive. He/she with an ability to deal with and resolve complex matters. The ability to work as part of a team is essential. In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate a high level of credibility and integrity.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A primary degree, preferably in Human Resources and/or Industrial Relations
- A record of success of working in ideally both HR Operations and/or Employee Relations professional service role within a Human Resources Department
- Planning, organising and work management skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- High level of attention to detail and excellent writing skills
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills
- A postgraduate qualification or specific training experience within Industrial Relations
- Knowledge of Irish Industrial Relations systems together with experience of implementing and managing proactive employee relations programmes, including dealing with third parties
- A good understanding of semi-private / public sector employee relations
Salary Scale: €49,179 – €59,260
*Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and in line with current Government pay policy.
Dublin City University is an equal opportunities employer.